Translate

Sunday 5 February 2012

Soul Search

When it comes to people, there are in fact only three types ..... 'believers', 'not sures', and the 'non believers' aka 'the Religious', 'the Agnostics' and 'the Atheists'. Now it doesn't matter if we are born in Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim or any other religion, we are all trained from childhood to the idea that there is in fact some sort of afterlife and that we all have some sort of immortal spirit, or soul if you will.

Now I am not discussing the nature of the belief: Catholic, Orthodox or Protestant; Shia or Sunni; a follower of Krishna, Jehovah, or Allah (I don't believe that Jehovah and Allah are the same god, just look at what Muslims are currently doing in the belief that Allah will take them to paradise for doing it .... that ain't the Christian god), no I am just talking about the belief in immortality through the possession of a soul.

Now this belief certainly predates the birth of modern religions, and there is considerable evidence that shows that there was an almost world wide belief in an earth mother matriarchal type deity, administered by shamans and later possibly druids, for thousands of years before the current religions took shape.

Mother Goddess figures 25000 yrs ago - Proof belief in afterlife?

Archaeological finds suggest that both the early Homo Sapiens and that other early human species, the Neanderthal believed in some sort of soul .... they buried their fellows with ceremony and mysticism and most importantly seemingly with grave goods. These grave goods, to be carried by the dead into the next realm, only make sense if there was a belief that death was not the end, but rather the beginning.

So this belief in a spirit, or soul is likely to be very very old, but now, for perhaps for the very first time in human history, many people say that they are either not sure whether there is an afterlife (although maybe with a soul) or that there is not an afterlife and no soul. Many philosophers have debated it, and one, Blaise Pascal, described the reasons why it was best to believe in an immortal soul and god, in what became known as 'Pascal's wager' which is illustrated below.

Pascal's Wager about God.

Generally I lean towards the non belief end of the religious debate, but just occasionally I am given pause for thought ..... recently I was watching the episode of "The Simpson's" in which Bart Simpson sells his soul to his friend Milhouse, with much unhappiness until he got the bit of paper back from Milhouse.

Bart Sells His Soul - Then Suffers

This show made me stop and think. Even though I consider myself rational, and not subject to the superstitions required to believe in the supernatural .... if someone approached me and offered me a sum of money, say £10,000 or $15,000, for a signed bit of paper in which I gave them 'my immortal soul', would I do it?

The true answer?

I don't think I would, but I can't give a logical explanation as to why I wouldn't feel comfortable about doing it. This admission of my secret doubts has made me think about my belief in non belief ... this isn't as secure as I would generally like to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcomed, or even just thanks if you enjoyed the post. But please make any comment relevant to the post it appears under. Off topic comments will be blocked or removed.

Moderation is on for older posts to stop spamming and comments that are off topic or inappropriate from being posted .... comments are reviewed within 48 hours. I don't block normal comments that are on topic and not inappropriate. Vexatious comments that may cause upset to other commentators, or that are attempting to espouse a particular wider political view, are reviewed before acceptance. But a certain amount of debate around a post topic is accepted, as long as it remains generally on topic and is not an attempt to become sounding board for some other cause.

Final decision on all comments is held by the blog author and is final.

Comments are always monitored for bad or abusive language, and or illegal statements i.e. overtly racist or sexist content. Spam is not tolerated and is removed.

Commentaires ne sont surveillés que pour le mauvais ou abusif langue ou déclarations illégales ie contenu ouvertement raciste ou sexiste. Spam ne est pas toléré et est éliminé.

Followers

Blog Archive

Its a Pucking World

Its a Pucking World
Dreamberry Wine Cover

About Me

My photo
A middle aged orange male ... So 'un' PC it's not true....